About the Car
- Contact Us
The Bentley Mark VI was in production from 1946 to 1952. This fine example was manufactured and first registered in 1948, and is one of only 4,000 fitted with the 6 cylinder in-line configuration 4,257cc engine.
In all, there were 5,201 production models of the Bentley Mark VI, which was the first complete car to be built by Rolls Royce - prior to this, coachwork construction was courtesy of an outside Coachbuilding company. This meant that, for the first time, a Rolls Royce or Bentley could exit the factory gates, straight onto the highway.
The 4 speed gearbox, twin SU carburetters, aluminium cylinder head, and single plate clutch allows a top speed of 94 mph (151 km/h). There is independent front suspension with coil springs, and servo assisted drum brakes.
The Bentley Mark VI became the most successful car that Bentley or Rolls Royce had ever produced, and until 1952 the number of changes were minimal, with the exception of a slightly larger version of the engine in 1951.
The interior seats and door panels are made of the finest leather, supplied by Connelly, undisputably the Empire's finest tanners of motor hide. The floors are covered in woollen carpet of matching colour, and high class walnut veneer is also used throughout.
All models pre 1949 were right hand drive, as efforts were in place to export only to countries of the British Empire.